Table of Contents
Vastu Shastra is a concept that goes on for over 8000 years. Especially for the Indians who are incorporating this “science of architecture” while constructing any site or designing a house. This science is typically known for conserving a certain amount of energy inside or outside any space. For generations, it has been believed that Vastu brings good luck, good fortune, and peace if followed accordingly. Vastu, architecture, and art & crafts go hand in hand and are traditionally attributed to divines in the Hindu pantheon.
When it comes to designing homes, it is always advised to build south facing house. The orientation of a plot is a big factor in its practicality and appeal for year-round use. Rather than just dealing with the layout and direction of a house it also deals with shades of colours, patterns, and design elements.
Directions and its importance in Vastu
Right knowledge of direction is very important to build a structure. During older days people used to check the directions by the shadow of the sun. With modern-day technology, a magnetic compass is used to check the directions. There are 10 directions in total but 8 out of these 10 are known to us and can be identified using a compass. Each direction has its own significance and can be studied in detail.
The 10 directions are as follows:
- North-east (Ishan); the centre of North and East.
- South-east (Agneya); the centre of South and East.
- South-west (Nirutya); the centre of South and West.
- North-west (Vayaya); the centre of North and West.
Brahmasthan in Vastu
According to the ancient architectural system, Vastu Shastra, the central zone of the property is the most powerful area, the holiest zone known as Brahmasthan. All the directions meet at the centre; therefore the Brahmasthan scatters or distributes the energy to the entire property. Not just houses, Brahmasthan also has importance in offices, factories, and other commercial buildings.
It is always advised to keep the Brahmasthan space vacant to see its significance it. As it is believed to be the central area, all roots of the energy, nothing should be constructed there.
You need to follow a set of rules to keep the area free from obstacles:
- Easily divide the plot in 8 directions. Starting from east to west and again from north to south.
- Now divide the 8 parts into 64 equal parts, the 4 equal squares will get at the centre of the plot will be the Brahmasthan.
Important tips for Brahmasthan in Vastu
- It is crucial to keep the area non-obstructive so you can plan the main hall there.
- In the Brahmasthan, you can have sky open areas like the courtyard but never use it as a bathroom or for the placement of septic tank.
- For the good health of occupants, avoid kitchen in the central area.
- Avoid pillars or columns or beams in this area.
- Do not design a staircase in the centre.
- If in confined space, make sure not to have any furniture there.
- Avoid sleeping in that zone.
South, South-east and South-west direction
South direction is considered as a bad direction but it’s a myth. South brings in all the good energies from the north. The owner of the south direction is Yam, a Hindu deity responsible for the death. A closed and heavy wall in the south direction keeps Yam at bay as per Vastu. But south direction inhabitants are also in charge of justice and legal affairs. The corresponding planet is Mars which is responsible for growth in financial aspects.
South-east direction is owned by Lord Agnidev, a Hindu deity responsible for the fire. The infrared rays from the sun reach the southeast direction making it the hottest phase or place during the daytime. The heat is compared to fire and it is ruled by the planet Venus. Southeast should always be allocated for fire-related work i.e. kitchen.
South-west direction is owned by a demon called Niriti and the corresponding planet is Rahu. This is considered as the strongest direction as it shows magnetic energies flowing from the northeast. Right placement and usage of this direction can result in healthy and strong life and it also boosts confidence. According to Vastu, if this direction is not utilized properly then it can bring negative impacts such as low finances, anxiety, depression to the owner’s life.
Myths about Vastu of south facing house
There are certain misbelieves and myths due to a lack of understanding and misinterpretation of the ancient text of Vastu Shastra. The following are some of the common myths regarding south facing house:
- Causes Anxiety and Depression.
- Leads to Financial loss.
- Leads to illness and chronic diseases.
- Recurring of accidents.
- Obstacles in success and prosperity.
Vastu points to keep in mind while buying a plot
- History- the history of the plot is essential to determine the future of it as well. It is important to know what kind of structure existed earlier on the plot and its significance. For example if it had a chemical plant then the soil would be full of chemical waste, if there was a graveyard earlier, then it’s not suitable for construction.
- Shape- it is advisable to buy square or rectangular shaped plots as it balances the energy flow. Irregular shaped plots such a triangular or hexagonal mustn’t be purchased at all as some corners would be cut and extended beyond normal standards.
- Astrological Calculations- Vastu without astrology is basically a house without foundation. So it is important to check all Vastu calculations and numerology. Firstly, to establish compatibility between the land and buyer it is advised to check the astrological chart.
- Soil quality and its contents- ages ago, different colours of soil were considered for different sections. But due to increasing pollution and industrialisation, the quality of soil is not the same anymore. One must test the soil before construction or buying.
What is a South facing house according to Vastu?
The direction or the facing of the house is often misinterpreted. The facing of the house refers to the direction in which the main entrance of the house is located, according to Vastu. So if you are facing south direction while going out of the main entrance, then that will be considered as south facing home.
Auspicious entrances in the south direction
The main entrance is considered as one of the most important aspects as it brings in the cosmic energy, therefore it plays a vital role for the inhabitants. According to Vastu, there are 32 gates out of which 9 gates are considered auspicious and 2 among these 9 gates are located in the south direction. The main door of any south facing house should be located in these gates or padas- S3 or Vitatha and S4 or Grihrakshita.
Advantages of a south facing house
- Increased amount of sunlight- one of the biggest benefits of a south facing home is the ample amount of sunlight that you receive provided there aren’t any big trees or buildings shadowing. This is due to the sun’s path, where at noon it’s at the peak in the south direction.
- Energy Consumption- As a south facing house, you don’t have to worry about using artificial lights during daytime because there will be ample amount of sunlight received and energy will be consumed. Therefore during winters in hilly areas, the sun keeps the house warm and heated.
Disadvantages of a south facing house
- Sunlight received- In this case, sunlight can be both good and bad. The morning sunlight is beneficial for the synthesis of vitamin D in the body. But during mid-day the south facing house will receive maximum sun radiations which are quite harmful for the human body.
- Unwanted Glare- Glare is caused by uncontrolled and excessive brightness. The afternoon sun rays emit such unwanted glares which is uncomfortable and sensitive for the eyes.
Vastu tips while designing a south facing house
To have a flow of positive energy inside your home, it is crucial to follow certain tips for south facing Vastu plans which will further benefit the house bringing in positivity, happiness, peace, and prosperity. Positioning certain elements can make a huge difference in your lifestyle and future.
Vastu for the Roads facing South Oriented House
- It is not advisable to buy south facing plot where there’s a road crossing or T-junction toward the south-west of the plot.
Vastu for Height and Width of Boundary Walls.
- The height if the southern walls should be greater than the walls in the north, to protect the house from direct sunlight.
- The southern walls should also be thicker than the northern walls to absorb excessive heat during afternoon.
Vastu tips for Slopes on the Plot
- The plot should always be towards North, East or North-East of the plot.
- Ensure that the plot is higher on the south side and lower towards North and East.
Vastu for facade colours
- Colours play an important role both aesthetically and Vastu purposes.
- The front walls should be preferably of light shades of brown, cream, beige or lilac.
- Strictly avoid blue, black and any other dark colours to paint the facade.
- For Vastu ambience, choose mood lifting and relaxing colours for the interiors.
Vastu tips for courtyard
- Based on Vastu, Brahmasthan should be clutter-free and spotless.
- Circumference of 1 to 1.5 meters of Brahmasthan shouldn’t have any obstructions.
Vastu Tips for South Facing Door
- The position of the main/entrance door should be to the centre of the south direction while constructing the house.
- According to south entrance Vastu rules, entrance door should be placed in the centre of south facing wall as this helps in lining up energies.
Vastu tips for South Facing Home Interiors
- The heavy furniture should be positioned in the south-west direction, as per Vastu interiors.
- If there are any holes or punctures in the house, it is advised to fill them up.
- Indoor plants such as palm tree, or rubber plants can be kept in the south corner.
Vastu tips for South Facing Kitchen
- The kitchen should either be facing south-east or north-west.
- The cook must face to the according direction and cook for south direction Vastu. If the kitchen is faced south-east then cook facing east, if it is in the north-west direction then cook facing west.
- Also, keeping in mind the direction of sunlight, the orientation of both counter and cook should be done.
Vastu for South-West Bedroom
- In order to generate positive energy, the master bedroom should be placed in the south-west direction.
- South facing houses makes a bedroom a relaxing and appropriate space for everyone.
- If the house consists of multiple floors, it is advised to keep the master bedroom at the highest level.
Vastu for other Bedrooms
- Rest of the bedrooms should be in the north-west direction. This is ideal for keeping kid’s rooms or guest bedrooms.
- Principles of Vastu also states that, the kid’s room can also be situation in either south or west direction too.
Vastu for Meditation Room
- In order to maintain the peace and calm of the meditation room, it is important to not construct in under the staircase or near a bathroom.
- The meditation room should be located in the north east corner rather than south side, which is not a good location for it.
- It is ideal to place the meditation room in the ground floor.
- Opt for light and soothing colours such as beige or light yellow or green for the walls of the meditation room.
Vastu for Placement of Underground Water Resources
- While constructing a south facing house, ensuring that underground resources like tank or bore well is placed in front of the house, i.e. the southern side is crucial.
- It can be placed in the rear side or the other two directions in order to avoid financial and health related troubles.
Who can buy South facing house?
In general, anyone who buys a south facing house can credit from it. You need to keep in mind a few important Vastu rules before beginning the process. Each direction can act as an advantage for certain people, depending on the profession and attributes of the person. The Zodiac sign and astrological charts of a person is also crucial while choosing a residential property. South Direction is ruled by Mars, which is good for the people who are associated with the business industry.
The following people can be benefitted more by buying south facing properties:
- Military and Paramilitary forces
- Entertainment industry
- Real Estate agents and property dealers
- Medical Professionals
Major Vastu energies in south facing house
- Main entrance in S-1, S-5, S-6, S-7 and S-8 padas.
- A cut or extension in SW [South-West] direction.
- Slope in SW [South-West] direction.
- Underground septic tank or underground water tank in SW [South-West].
Vastu remedies for south facing house
- Main entrance in negative padas can be blocked with metal strips.
- A cut in SW direction can be rectified with the use of specific colours and lights.
- Underground septic tank can be rectified with the help of vastu pyramid strips.
What to Do
- As per south facing house Vastu, make the entrance door in the 3rd or 4th pada of Vithatha or Gruhakshat.
- Construct staircases on the south, west or south-west direction.
- Make sure the flow of waste water is from south to north.
- Design a garden in only south-east or south side.
- Ensure the walls on the south side are higher than the north side.
What Not To Do
- Do not have entrances open in the south west corner.
- Avoid cut or extensions of the south west of a south facing house.
- Be careful with the placement of mirrors to manage cuts in a south facing house.
- Strictly avoid kitchen in south west corner.
- Avoid making gardens or keeping plants in south west corner.
- Do not place septic tanks, aquariums or any other piece containing water in the south side.