Table of Contents
The wait is over!
You, now, have the time and resources to start your dream modern kitchen design makeover. However, the financial and mental strain tied to the renovation process might tempt you to delay the project. Let’s be honest; even a seemingly modest renovation can be challenging from the logistics of shifting appliances to navigating through the dust from carpentry, not to mention the unwelcome surprise of a higher-than-anticipated bill upon completion.
To ensure that the considerable effort put into your modern kitchen design renovation is truly worthwhile, this guide presents 5 pointers to ease the process :
- Defining your end goals
- Establishing your budget
- Establishing your timeline
- Assessing your likes and dislikes in your present kitchen
- What would you like in your future, modern kitchen design?
Defining your end goal
Being clear with the end goal for your kitchen will serve as a foundation around which, your modern kitchen design layout and accessories can be designed. Whether you choose to hire a designer or hire various agencies to complete the task, this end goal will provide focus on what needs to be achieved. Look at your end goal as something that will be least compromised on, during your renovation.
Consider these :
Envision your future kitchen and write down aspects that you see.
Is it a bigger kitchen that you need or a more organized one to avoid the current clutter?
Are you only looking at a facelift or a thorough renovation of cabinetry and layout?
Is there a need for more storage or an island kitchen counter?
What are those “must-haves” for your future, modern kitchen design?
Save images that align with the elements and style of your end goal.
The right picture will save you long explanations to any designer or contractor.
Establishing your budget
This can be a tricky one, especially if you have no knowledge or prior experience with renovations. However, it is a necessary exercise, that would determine even the smallest component like a sink tap or the type of cabinet finish, in your modern kitchen design. A humorous analogy would be buying ice cream at a shop – there are a variety of flavors and toppings, each priced differently, yet the amount that you are willing to spend would determine your final purchase.
Consider doing the following :
Evaluate the extent of your work and budget, component-wise
A rough example would be changing the tile for the backsplash. This would involve the cost of tile removal, tile laying, and purchase of the new tile. With roughly, two agencies involved – the contractor and the tile vendor, you can arrive at an approximate cost for this component. Of course, this exercise is easier done when the scope of renovation is limited.
Work with your designer
A professional interior designer or architect is trained to translate your modern kitchen design requirements along with the allocated budget into a reality. They will be able to give you the realities of what your future kitchen would cost and offer guidance on the type of material finishes, appliances, and layouts within your budget.
Set aside for unforeseen surprises
Surprises could include leakage, issues with the electrical scope, or even demolition discoveries. A smart move would be to plan for such unforeseen events.
Establishing your timeline
A crucial factor for effective planning, specifying a timeline for your project, which can avoid unnecessary delays, harmonious coordination between various agencies, and less time away from your kitchen.
A modern kitchen design renovation involves multiple agencies leading to overlapping tasks. For example, cabinet carpentry would start only after the plumbing lines have been put into place. A small delay by one agency could affect the time frame for another one. A delay in the renovation would also mean more time dealing with the hassle of execution – dust, noise, and a limited amount of privacy for most of the day.
Consider prepping yourself with these points :
Create a realistic timeline
Some overlooked time-consuming factors are finalizing the kitchen layout and material involved, choosing tiles, appliances, and light fixtures, and delivery time for the same. Accomplishing some of these tasks while an agency is working at the site could reduce the overall timeline.
A professional designer can give you an approximate timeline, factoring in all scopes of work.
While a plan can be thorough and meticulous, unforeseen circumstances can cause delays to the timeline. Factoring in extra time would be a smart move, especially if you need a completed kitchen before a certain event or festival.
Prepping yourself mentally can reduce any anxiety or unpleasantness in the future.
Assessing your likes and dislikes in your present kitchen
Reflecting on what you appreciate and find lacking in your present kitchen, will give you clarity on what you expect from your future, modern kitchen design.
Consider these questions to get you started :
- Do you see the need for more storage? What type of storage? Is there a clutter of items on the counter?
- Are you satisfied with the amount of light and ventilation, your present kitchen gets?
- What areas of your kitchen are prone to excessive dust and stains?
- Are your cabinets in good shape? What about the cabinet shutters prone to water like the ones below the sink?
- Do you have a good garbage disposal system?
- Is there enough space for your small and big appliances?
- Do you have storage provision for cleaning equipment such as broom, mop, cleaning liquid, etc?
- Do you find the need for more counter space?
- Do you find your kitchen too small? Are you willing to go in for an open layout?
- Are your counter width and heights suitable to your height?
- Do you have children or pets in the kitchen that you would like to make provision for?
- Does your kitchen layout need to accommodate wheelchair movement?
- Are you happy with the gas cylinder location or the water bubble top location? Do you have a storage requirement for extra bubble top storage?
- Do you like the style of your present kitchen? What elements do you like?
- What elements in your kitchen would you like to retain?
- Define your kitchen style.
- Do you find a collection of dust and stains in your current cabinetry?
- How do you maintain dust collection and stains on walls and cabinetry ?
What would you like in your future, modern kitchen design?
Kitchen renovations are not a frequent occurrence for many households, so don`t hold back from this list. Would you like your modern kitchen design planned to entertain guests or support your sustainable lifestyle? Would you like your modern kitchen design to have seating to support those long conversations?
Keep in mind, however, that time, budget, and available space can have a hold on the possibility of some of your desires.