Table of Contents
Vastu Shastra is a concept that goes on for over 8000 years. Especially for the Indians who are incorporating this “science of architecture” while constructing any site or designing a house. This science is typically known for conserving a certain amount of energy inside or outside any space. For generations, it has been believed that Vastu brings good luck, good fortune, and peace if followed accordingly. Vastu, architecture, and art & crafts go hand in hand and are traditionally attributed to divines in the Hindu pantheon.
North facing house design as per vastu can be proved as auspicious for the occupants because that direction is ruled by the god of wealth, Kubera, so the house will attract wealth. Principles of north facing house design as per vastu is associated with planet Mercury, which will be beneficial for people involved in financial services and/or Entrepreneurs.
Directions and its importance in Vastu
Right knowledge of direction is very important to build a structure. During older days people used to check the directions by the shadow of the sun. With modern-day technology, a magnetic compass is used to check the directions. There are 10 directions in total but 8 out of these 10 are known to us and can be identified using a compass. Each direction has its own significance and can be studied in detail.
The 10 directions are as follows:
- North-east (Ishan); the centre of North and East.
- South-east (Agneya); the centre of South and East.
- South-west (Nirutya); the centre of South and West.
- North-west (Vayaya); the centre of North and West.
North, North-east and North-west direction
North direction- As per Vastu, north is a very good direction. The owner of this direction is Kuber, a Hindu deity known for health and prosperity. This direction is mostly called wealth and career direction. The planet for this direction is Budha. The north direction should always be more open, spacious, light, and less burdened due to the body parts of Vastu Purusha. It is also believed that the north pole provides tremendous positive energy; so as to receive it the north side of the house should have openings.
North-east direction- A wonderful direction where one can relish. The owner of this direction is Lord Shiva, the supreme Hindu deity. The representation planet for this direction is Brahaspati; the planet for the northeast gives knowledge and spiritual growth. North-east is a very pious and sensitive direction. 60% of Vastu principles lie in this direction. The powerful axis of magnetic energy starts from northeast to southwest so creating a bathroom/toilet in this area can spoil the family’s health and business opportunities.
North-west direction- The owner of this direction is Vayudev, a Hindu deity for wind. The planet in this direction is the moon. This direction may be unstable since it is powered by wind elements. According to Vastu, this direction creates big opportunities for the owners. The wrong usage of this can lead to anxiety, instability, and confusion.
Brahmasthan in Vastu
According to the ancient architectural system, Vastu Shastra, the central zone of the property is the most powerful area, the holiest zone known as Brahmasthan. All the directions meet at the center; therefore the Brahmasthan scatters or distributes the energy to the entire property. Not just houses, Brahmasthan also has importance in offices, factories, and other commercial buildings.
It is always advised to keep the Brahmasthan space vacant to see its significance it. As it is believed to be the central area, all roots of the energy, nothing should be constructed there.
You need to follow a set of rules to keep the area free from obstacles:
- Easily divide the plot in 8 directions. Starting from east to west and again from north to south.
- Now divide the 8 parts into 64 equal parts, the 4 equal squares will get at the centre of the plot will be the Brahmasthan.
Important tips for Brahmasthan in Vastu
- It is crucial to keep the area non-obstructive so you can plan the main hall there.
- In the Brahmasthan, you can have sky open areas like the courtyard but never use it as a bathroom or for the placement of septic tank.
- For the good health of occupants, avoid kitchen in the central area.
- Avoid pillars or columns or beams in this area.
- Do not design a staircase in the centre.
- If in confined space, make sure not to have any furniture there.
- Avoid sleeping in that zone.
Myths about North facing House Design as per Vastu
There are certain misbelieves and myths due to a lack of understanding and misinterpretation of the ancient text of Vastu Shastra. The following are some of the common myths regarding north facing house design as per vastu:
- Causes Anxiety and Depression.
- Leads to Financial loss.
- Leads to illness and chronic diseases.
- Recurring of accidents.
- Obstacles in success and prosperity.
Vastu points to keep in mind while buying a plot
- History- the history of the plot is essential to determine the future of it as well. It is important to know what kind of structure existed earlier on the plot and its significance. For example if it had a chemical plant then the soil would be full of chemical waste, if there was a graveyard earlier, then it’s not suitable for construction.
- Shape- it is advisable to buy square or rectangular shaped plots as it balances the energy flow. Irregular shaped plots such a triangular or hexagonal mustn’t be purchased at all as some corners would be cut and extended beyond normal standards.
- Astrological Calculations- Vastu without astrology is basically a house without foundation. So it is important to check all Vastu calculations and numerology. Firstly, to establish compatibility between the land and buyer it is advised to check the astrological chart.
- Soil quality and its contents- ages ago, different colours of soil were considered for different sections. But due to increasing pollution and industrialisation, the quality of soil is not the same anymore. One must test the soil before construction or buying.
What is a North facing house?
The main entrance of a house which is towards the north direction is known as a north facing house design as per vastu. According to many people, the house is north facing if there is a road on the north side of it, which is incorrect. It is important to remember that the direction of a house is determined by the position of its main door.
What does Vastu say about north facing homes?
A common misconception heard is that only north and east-facing properties are auspicious and south and west-facing houses should be avoided but that’s not the case. In reality, as per Vastu, all directions are auspicious and serve a purpose if designed accordingly. The most important factor to be considered is the main/entrance door. For each direction, there are certain rules which are to be followed while locating the main door of the house.
Advantages and Disadvantages of North facing house design as per vastu
North facing house design as per vastu are considered desirable because they get the most direct sunlight through the day, especially in the winter when the sun is at the lowest. North facing house design as per vastu are an excellent choice for hot climates. They are the most effective placement for warding off the beat from a brutal heat. These types of houses can be seen in Arizona, Mexico, South and Central America, and also in India where Vastu is followed for religious reasons.
- The front porch, veranda or the driveway won’t capture excessive heat.
- Lowers the electricity bill by reducing energy demands for cooling the homes in warmer regions.
- Helpful in drying the laundry due the summer north eastern winds.
- Not a suitable choice for colder climates.
- Less natural light in general, gloomy home.
- High electricity bill due to use of heaters. (This drawback can be avoided by having more south facing windows)
Tips for north facing house design as per vastu
To have a flow of positive energy inside your home, it is crucial to follow certain tips which will further benefit the house bringing in positivity, happiness, peace, and prosperity. Positioning certain elements can make a huge difference in your lifestyle and future.
Vastu tip for Slopes
In a north facing property, which is auspicious for you and your family, avoid a plot where the slope goes from north to the south direction.
Vastu tip for Boundary wall
For north facing house, make sure that the boundary walls are slightly lower in height towards the north and east direction.
Vastu tip for Entrance gate
The entrance gate should be placed in the eastern or northern half of the front area.
Vastu tip for Garage/ car parking
- In order to have mental peace, avoid having garage in the north direction of the house.
- Plan the garage in the south-east or north-west direction.
Image by Pexels from Pixabay
Vastu tips courtyard and trees
It is crucial to not have trees planted on the north side of the plot. For a north facing house design as per vastu, the following plants can bring prosperity and peace:
- Begonia rex
All these plants are indoor plants that need indirect sunlight and can grow well in bright conditions.
Vastu tips for the Main Door
A Pada is one of the nine parts between the north-east and north-west.
- The door should face north.
- The 5th pada is believed to be auspicious which is meant to bring wealth.
- The 3rd, 4th, 8th padas (Mukhya, Bhallat and Diti) are also considered auspicious, choosing any of these will for the main door placement will also attract wealth.
- The 6th to 9th padas are to be used only if there’s no other option to place the door in any other padas.
Vastu tips for Bedrooms
- As per bedroom Vastu, bedroom shouldn’t be placed in the north-east direction. In order to generate positive energy, the master bedroom should be placed in the south-west direction.
- If the house consists of multiple floors, it is advised to keep the master bedroom at the highest level.
Vastu tip for other Bedroom
- The guest bedroom or kids room should be in the north-west corner.
Vastu tips for Bathrooms
- First choice for the bathroom location is in the north-west quadrant of the house.
- Second choice is the north-east quadrant of the house.
- Third choice is the south-west quadrant of the house.
- Avoid having bathrooms in the centre of the house.
Vastu tips for Balcony and Terrace
- Large balconies or open terraces should be in the northern side.
- Avoid balconies in the south or west directions or else enclose them with grills.
- Light fittings positioned along the north and east walls bring positivity and good energy.
Vastu tips for Kitchen
- The first choice for the kitchen to be placed is in the south-east direction.
- The second choice would be in the north-west direction.
- For north facing house design as per vastu, it is important not to have a kitchen in the north-east direction.
- Also, keeping in mind the direction of sunlight, the orientation of both counter and cook should be done.
Vastu tips for Staircase
- It is not advisable to build a staircase in the north-east side.
- It can be constructed either in the south, south-west or west side.
- Stairs should be in a clockwise direction.
Vastu tips for Meditation room
- The first choice for the location of meditation is north-east direction or centre of the house.
- Second choice for the location would be east or west side of the house with the idols facing west or east respectively.
- In order to maintain the peace and calm of the meditation room, it is important to not construct in under the staircase or near a bathroom.
- It is ideal to place the meditation room in the ground floor.
- Opt for light and soothing colours such as beige or light yellow or green for the walls of the meditation room.
Vastu tips for Study room
- The study room should be located in east, north-east or north-west direction of the house.
- It should never be located in the south-east or south-west corners.
- Place the study table in such a direction that face of the student while studying is towards north-east, east or north.
Vastu tips for Placement of Underground Water Resources
- Avoid having septic tanks in the north-east direction.
- It can be placed in the rear side or the other directions in order to avoid financial and health related troubles.
Who can buy a North facing house design as per vastu?
In general, anyone who buys a north facing house design as per vastu can credit from it. You need to keep in mind a few important Vastu rules before beginning the process. The north is associated with the planet Mercury. The Zodiac signs and astrological charts of a person are crucial while choosing a residential property.
The following people can be benefitted more by buying north facing house design as per vastu properties:
- People into business or finance such as accountants, bankers, investors, stock market traders and brokers.
- Communication and e-service providers.
- People in the hospitality sector.
- Tour and travel service providers.
Is north facing home good for senior citizens?
If the head of the family or a senior citizen is retired and likes to spend time in religious work then they can be allotted a room in the north, north-east, or south direction. Ideally, the head of the family should be allotted the south-west or south facing room but the above-mentioned directions can be done, if they are not working.
What to Do
- Place the main door in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 8th pada for getting more benefit.
- Place water storage tank in north or north-east directions.
- Construct boundary walls small in height in the north and east directions compared to others.
- If have an inclined plot, make sure the slope is inclined more towards north or east direction.
- Place the kitchen in south-east or north-west direction.
- Plant money plant in the north corner to attract positive energy.
- Place the electric circuit board in the south-east zone.
- Design the master bedroom in east, west or south corners.
- Keep some spare space in north or north-east side while construction.
- Staircase for north facing houses should be in south or west direction.
What Not To Do
- Avoid impulse buying of north facing house design as per vastu and consider other factors as well.
- Avoid north-west direction for main entrance.
- Avoid 6th pada as it can cause health related issues.
- For the facade, strictly avoid shades of red, yellow or maroon.
- Do not design a staircase in north or north-east direction.
- Avoid garden in north-west direction.
- If the plot is inclined, ensure it’s not towards west or south.
- Avoid underground tank placement in north-west.
- Avoid placing any mirror in south or south-east sides of the plot.
- Ensure that there’s no obstruction such as trees, poles blocking the front of the house.