Table of Contents
Vastu Shastra is a concept that goes on for over 8000 years. Especially for the Indians who are incorporating this “science of architecture” while constructing any site or designing a house. This science is typically known for conserving a certain amount of energy inside or outside any space. For generations, it has been believed that Vastu brings good luck, good fortune, and peace if followed accordingly. Vastu, architecture, and art & crafts go hand in hand and are traditionally attributed to divines in the Hindu pantheon.
When it comes to designing houses, it is always advised to build east facing houses. The orientation of a plot is a big factor in its practicality and appeal for year-round use. Rather than just dealing with the layout and direction of a house it also deals with shades of colors, patterns, and design elements.
Directions and its importance in Vastu
Right knowledge of direction is very important to build a structure. During older days people used to check the directions by the shadow of the sun. With modern-day technology, a magnetic compass is used to check the directions. There are 10 directions in total but 8 out of these 10 are known to us and can be identified using a compass. Each direction has its own significance and can be studied in detail.
The 10 directions are as follows:
- North-east (Ishan); the centre of North and East.
- South-east (Agneya); the centre of South and East.
- South-west (Nirutya); the centre of South and West.
- North-west (Vayaya); the centre of North and West.
East direction– The east is a very powerful direction and is ruled by the Hindu deity, Lord Indra responsible for rain, prosperity, and power. The representative planet is the sun which itself is a bigger and higher power. Sun gives growth to live, vegetation; so the east direction is utilized for growth. The east direction should always be kept open and clean. Constructing heavy walls, poor ventilation in this direction will provide a stagnant lifestyle. Strictly avoid placing staircase, bathrooms, or storage room in the east direction.
Extension in the east direction
Extension of plot or space towards east direction can be auspicious. The owner can buy an adjacent plot/site and merge it with the existing house or plot, keeping in mind certain Vastu tips such as measurements of the extension plot, existing door facing
Brahmasthan in Vastu
According to the ancient architectural system, Vastu Shastra, the central zone of the property is the most powerful area, the holiest zone known as Brahmasthan. All the directions meet at the center; therefore the Brahmasthan scatters or distributes the energy to the entire property. Not just houses, Brahmasthan also has importance in offices, factories, and other commercial buildings.
It is always advised to keep the Brahmasthan space vacant to see its significance. As it is believed to be the central area, all roots of the energy, nothing should be constructed there.
You need to follow a set of rules to keep the area free from obstacles:
- Easily divide the plot in 8 directions. Starting from east to west and again from north to south.
- Now divide the 8 parts into 64 equal parts, the 4 equal squares will get at the centre of the plot will be the Brahmasthan.
Important tips for Brahmasthan in Vastu
- It is crucial to keep the area non-obstructive so you can plan the main hall there.
- In the Brahmasthan, you can have sky open areas like the courtyard but never use it as a bathroom or for the placement of septic tank.
- For the good health of occupants, avoid kitchen in the central area.
- Avoid pillars or columns or beams in this area.
- Do not design a staircase in the centre.
- If in confined space, make sure not to have any furniture there.
- Avoid sleeping in that zone.
Myths about east facing house Vastu
There are certain misbelieves and myths due to a lack of understanding and misinterpretation of the ancient text of Vastu Shastra. The following are some of the common myths regarding east facing houses:
- Causes Anxiety and Depression.
- Leads to Financial loss.
- Leads to illness and chronic diseases.
- Recurring of accidents.
- Obstacles in success and prosperity.
Vastu points to keep in mind while buying a plot
- History- the history of the plot is essential to determine the future of it as well. It is important to know what kind of structure existed earlier on the plot and its significance. For example if it had a chemical plant then the soil would be full of chemical waste, if there was a graveyard earlier, then it’s not suitable for construction.
- Shape- it is advisable to buy square or rectangular shaped plots as it balances the energy flow. Irregular shaped plots such a triangular or hexagonal mustn’t be purchased at all as some corners would be cut and extended beyond normal standards.
- Astrological Calculations- Vastu without astrology is basically a house without foundation. So it is important to check all Vastu calculations and numerology. Firstly, to establish compatibility between the land and buyer it is advised to check the astrological chart.
- Soil quality and its contents- ages ago, different colours of soil were considered for different sections. But due to increasing pollution and industrialisation, the quality of soil is not the same anymore. One must test the soil before construction or buying.
What is an east facing house?
The main entrance of a house which is towards the east direction is known as an east facing house. According to many people, the house is east facing if there is a road on the east side of it, which is incorrect. It is important to remember that the direction of a house is determined by the position of its main door; therefore terming it as east entrance Vastu.
Are east facing houses good or bad?
It is believed that houses that are more spacious and open in the east are blessed with good fortune and luck. Houses that are broad in space and are at a lower level toward the east direction than any other direction are considered to be the luckiest.
Advantages and disadvantages of an east facing house
While the south and north facing homes have the best maximizing energy efficiency in a typical climate, many people opt east facing home for aesthetic purposes and lifestyle changes/habits. The orientation, depending on the type of person and their individual preferences impacts the occupants well being.
- The house radiates with light and positive energy, as the home behind to fill with sunlight at the crack of dawn.
- Provides shade in the backyard during summer mornings, while providing a gentle warm light in the evening.
- The second best placement for capturing solar heat and sunlight during winter months.
- Front yard, porch is likely to be hot throughout the first half of the day.
- Subpar energy efficiency compared to north and south facing houses.
- Sunlight glare through the front windows or openings can be undesirable or uncomfortable.
Vastu tips for east facing house
According to east facing house Vastu, the properties are considered to be benefitted for buildings and multi-story apartments. Residences and bungalows in this direction are not counted amongst the best choices.
Vastu tips for house plan
- For the construction of an east facing house, it is important to follow Vastu-complaint house plan, to ensure the flow of positive energy inside.
- You can consult an architect or a civil engineer to come up with your own customized plan based on Vastu guidelines.
Vastu tips for garden
To have a healthier environment it is advised to plant the following plants for east facing homes:
- Lucky bamboo plant
- Holy basil plant
- Neem plant
- Money plant
- Plum Blossoms
- Aloe Vera
- Banana plant
Vastu tips for the main door
- As per east entrance Vastu, ensure that the entrance is exactly in the middle and not in the south-east or north-east.
- If the house entrance is in the north-east corner, make sure that the main door doesn’t touch the north-east corner or leave a gap of 6 inches between the wall and the main door.
- Place the main door in the 5th pada as attracts respect, fame and recognition.
- You can also use 3rd, 4th, 6th or 7th padas for the main door.
- Avoid 1st, 2nd, 8th and 9th padas for planning the main door.
Vastu tips for interior wall colours
- For decorating an east facing room which will receive a ton of sunlight in the morning, paint it in a subtle colour by visualizing both natural and artificial lights.
- Blue and green as more popular choices for painting east facing rooms.
- Blue mixed with a tiny of grey can make the room look cool.
- Aqua shade can add a feeling of freshness and tranquillity to the room.
- If looking for neutral tones, go for white and light pink shade.
Vastu tips for Living room
- As per Vastu, the living room of a south facing house should be placed in the north-east side.
- Make sure that the walls on north and east side are thinner than the walls on the south and west side; this attracts success in both personal and professional life.
Vastu tips for Kitchen
- For an east facing house, the kitchen should be placed in the south-east direction.
- The second option for placing the kitchen would be in the north-west direction.
- Avoid placing it in north, north-east and west directions.
- The person cooking should face towards east in a south-east direction kitchen.
- The person cooking should face towards west in a north-west direction kitchen.
- For positive energy, place the stove, oven and/or toasters in the south-east area of the kitchen.
- Refrigerator and storage should be placed in south-west direction.
Vastu tips for Dining room
- For an east facing house, the dining area should be in continuation with the kitchen on the east, west or south side.
- If there’s a door for the dining room, it mustn’t face the entrance door.
- For the sitting arrangement, it is advisable to be seated in the direction facing the north, east and west side.
- The head of the family should take the east side.
Vastu tips for Master Bedroom
- Master bedroom should be placed in the south-west direction.
- According to Vastu, the perfect place to position a bed is in the south or west wall of the room, so that the head lies in the south or west direction and legs are in the east or north direction.
- Closet or changing room in the master bedroom should be in north or west side of the room.
- Bathroom shouldn’t face the bed directly.
Vastu tips for staircase
- In east facing house, the external staircase must be located in the south, south-west or west direction.
- The staircase should be in the clockwise direction.
- Internal staircase should be from east to west direction.
- Avoid spiral staircase as brings in negative energy.
- If there’s a broken step repair it immediately to prevent from affecting the financial stability of the family.
- Have equal number of steps/threads for every floor.
Vastu tips for balcony
- Often any Vastu specialist will recommend an open space in the east direction to bring in the sunlight in form of a positive energy.
- Balcony, terrace or any other opening should be designed in the east facing direction.
Vastu tips for Meditation room
- According to Vastu, the meditation room for an east facing house should be in the north-east direction.
- The ceiling of meditation room should be lower than the other rooms.
- It shouldn’t be adjacent to the bathroom.
Vastu tips for Study room
- The study room should face the east or west direction of the house.
- The second best option for placing the study room is north.
- For circulation of positive energy, leave a slight gap between study table and the adjoining wall.
Vastu tips for water tank
- The ideal location for an underground water tank would be north or north-east direction.
- It can also be placed in the east or north-east direction.
- As per Vastu, avoid keeping the water tank in the centre.
- For the overhead tank, the best direction is south-west or west.
Who can buy an east facing house?
As per Vastu, each home has got its unique features and individuality. Not every home suits everyone. An east facing house is dominated by the sun and relates to jobs that have authority, elegance and power. The east direction also represents creativity, focus, protection and agility.
The following people can be benefitted more by buying east facing properties:
- People working for government services.
- Creative professionals such as musicians, artists and dancers.
- Business owners
Apart from the profession of the inhabitant, the zodiac sign plays a vital role as well. The following zodiac signs can also benefit from an east facing house:
What to Do
- Place the main entrance only in the 2 recommended padas- Indra or Jayanta.
- Make the north and east side walls are shorter in comparison to south and west side.
- Kitchen should be placed in the south east or north-west corner.
- Place the puja room in the north-east corner for auspicious purposes.
- If there’s a slope, make sure it’s sloped from south to north direction.
- Keep some free space in the east side for a small balcony.
- Make sure there’s no object such as electric pole, tree in front of the entrance.
- Living room should be placed in the north-east corner.
What not to do
- Avoid all padas for the entrance except for the recommended ones.
- Do not place bathrooms or septic tanks in the north-east corner.
- Make sure to avoid north-east corner for placement of bedrooms.
- Avoid planting any big trees in north or east side of the house.
- Strictly avoid placing a staircase in north-east corner.
- Use dustbin or garbage cans outside the main entrance or towards the north side.
- Avoid sharp edges or cuts for the facade design in north-east corner.