Table of Contents
Vastu Shastra is a concept that goes on for over 8000 years. Especially for the Indians who are incorporating this “science of architecture” while constructing any site or designing a house. This science is typically known for conserving a certain amount of energy inside or outside any space. For generations, it has been believed that Vastu brings good luck, good fortune, and peace if followed accordingly. Vastu, architecture, and art & crafts go hand in hand and are traditionally attributed to divines in the Hindu pantheon.
Many sources state that west facing houses are not auspicious enough as the sun sets in the west. However, according to Vastu, all directions are considered equally good or bad. A west facing home can be equally prosperous, provided that certain rules and regulations are followed before constructing the house.
Directions and its importance in Vastu
Right knowledge of direction is very important to build a structure. During older days people used to check the directions by the shadow of the sun. With modern-day technology, a magnetic compass is used to check the directions. There are 10 directions in total but 8 out of these 10 are known to us and can be identified using a compass. Each direction has its own significance and can be studied in detail.
The 10 directions are as follows:
- North-east (Ishan); the centre of North and East.
- South-east (Agneya); the centre of South and East.
- South-west (Nirutya); the centre of South and West.
- North-west (Vayaya); the centre of North and West.
West Direction– as per Vastu, this is known for stability in life. The owner of the west direction is Lord Varun, a Hindu deity for fame, rain, and fate. The corresponding planet is Saturn for the west direction. Large openings are not advisable in this direction as solar energy is not stored in the west if big openings are present. The flow of energy goes from east to west similar to the sun.
Brahmasthan in Vastu
According to the ancient architectural system, Vastu Shastra, the central zone of the property is the most powerful area, the holiest zone known as Brahmasthan. All the directions meet at the center; therefore, the Brahmasthan scatters or distributes the energy to the entire property. Not just houses, Brahmasthan also has importance in offices, factories, and other commercial buildings.
It is always advised to keep the Brahmasthan space vacant to see its significance. As it is believed to be the central area, all roots of the energy, nothing should be constructed there.
You need to follow a set of rules to keep the area free from obstacles:
- Easily divide the plot in 8 directions. Starting from east to west and again from north to south.
- Now divide the 8 parts into 64 equal parts, the 4 equal squares will get at the centre of the plot will be the Brahmasthan.
Important tips for Brahmasthan in Vastu
- It is crucial to keep the area non-obstructive so you can plan the main hall there.
- In the Brahmasthan, you can have sky open areas like the courtyard but never use it as a bathroom or for the placement of septic tank.
- For the good health of occupants, avoid kitchen in the central area.
- Avoid pillars or columns or beams in this area.
- Do not design a staircase in the centre.
- If in confined space, make sure not to have any furniture there.
- Avoid sleeping in that zone.
Myths about west facing house Vastu
There are certain misbelieves and myths due to a lack of understanding and misinterpretation of the ancient text of Vastu Shastra. The following are some of the common myths regarding west facing houses:
- Causes Anxiety and Depression.
- Leads to Financial loss.
- Leads to illness and chronic diseases.
- Recurring of accidents.
- Obstacles in success and prosperity.
Vastu points to keep in mind while buying a plot
- History- the history of the plot is essential to determine the future of it as well. It is important to know what kind of structure existed earlier on the plot and its significance. For example, if it had a chemical plant then the soil would be full of chemical waste, if there was a graveyard earlier, then it’s not suitable for construction.
- Shape- it is advisable to buy square or rectangular shaped plots as it balances the energy flow. Irregular shaped plots such a triangular or hexagonal mustn’t be purchased at all as some corners would be cut and extended beyond normal standards.
- Astrological Calculations- Vastu without astrology is basically a house without foundation. So, it is important to check all Vastu calculations and numerology. Firstly, to establish compatibility between the land and buyer it is advised to check the astrological chart.
- Soil quality and its contents- ages ago, different colours of soil were considered for different sections. But due to increasing pollution and industrialisation, the quality of soil is not the same anymore. One must test the soil before construction or buying.
What is a west facing house?
The main entrance of a house which is towards the west direction is known as a west facing house. According to many people, the house is west facing if there is a road on the west side of it, which is incorrect. It is important to remember that the direction of a house is determined by the position of its main door; therefore, terming it as the west entrance Vastu.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a west facing house
When you open the door to stare or look out for the sun in the face, the evening sunlight is generally warmer and less harsh. For the people spending evenings with family and friends in the front yard watching the sunset, the west facing houses provide the best of illumination during later hours in the day.
- Ideal for the ones who sleep in and don’t have to wake up early in the morning; keeps the house dark.
- Provides best natural light later in the day.
- Helpful for clothes drying purpose during the morning hours.
- Lacks in energy efficiency during any season or climate making it one of the chief problems longitudinal houses.
- House is generally deprived of natural light during some hours.
Vastu tips for west facing house
In general, the west side is suitable for the bedroom, entrance, living room, dining, study room, meditation room, foyer, and staircase. However, it is believed that the west direction is not suitable for a water body, bathroom, or guestrooms.
Vastu tips for Main door
- As per the principles of Vastu, 9 out of 32 gates are considered auspicious. And out of these 9 gates, 2 are located in the west.
- The main entrance of the house should be located in these padas- W3 or Surgriva (one of the best possible entrances especially for businessmen. This brings growth and evitable prosperity) and W4 or Pushpdanta (refers to the power of blessing. Assistant to Varun, controller of the universe and vehicle of lord Kuber-the giver of wealth. This entrance gives good financial growth).
- Avoid these following padas- Pitra (this brings instability in life), Duawarik (brings instability in relationships and career), Asur (brings daily fatigue and poor physical strength), Shosha (causes delay in daily aspects of life).
- For a west facing house, ensure that the main door entrance is placed in the mid-west or northern part of your home.
- Metal work design for or on the door is considered a good option, example metal name board or metallic bell.
- Avoid any clutter in front of the main entrance.
- Remove broken furniture or dustbin near the main door.
Vastu tips for Wall colours
- Ideal colours for west facing homes are white, yellow, silver and beige.
- Neutral shades are perfect for west facing house as they enhance positive energy.
- Try avoiding bright colours to prevent from being overwhelmed.
Vastu tips for Garden
- West facing gardens will receive very less sunlight in the morning and very much in the afternoon.
- So, it is important to have plants that will withstand afternoon heat and summer heat i.e., tulips, roses and daffodils.
Vastu tips for Living room
- Try facing the living room toward east, north or north-east.
- North-west facing living is also considered to be good.
- Place heavy furniture in the west or south-west direction of the room.
Vastu tips for Kitchen
- Avoid placing the kitchen in the south-west corner of the house.
- Kitchen should be placed in the south-east or north-west direction.
- Make sure to face toward the east direction while cooking.
Vastu tips for Master bedroom
- For a west facing house, the master bedroom should be placed in the south-west side of the house.
- If the house is multi-storeyed, always have the master bedroom on the higher floors.
Vastu tips for Children’s bedroom
- Ideally the kids’ room should be in the south, west or north-west directions.
- Place their wardrobes in south or west direction.
- Try placing the door in the east or north direction.
Vastu tips for Guest bedroom
- It is advisable to keep the guest bedroom in the north-west or south direction.
- Do not place it in the south-west direction.
Vastu tips for staircase
- As per Vastu guidelines, never design a staircase in the north-east corner of a west facing house.
- Staircase in the north direction is also prohibited as it creates financial troubles.
- South, south-west and west directions are best to place a staircase in a west facing home.
- If the staircase in placed in the south-west, south or west direction of a house then it should be in anti-clockwise.
Vastu tips for Meditation room
- One of the best places to place a meditation room is in the west direction.
- The second option would be placing it in either north-east or east direction.
Vastu tips for septic tanks and bathrooms
- Usually the septic tank is placed in front of the house but in case of a west facing house it can be placed in the front side in the west of north zone.
- Avoid placing the tant on north-west or south-west direction.
- The toilets or bathrooms can be placed in the east of south-east direction for west facing homes.
- The ideal place for designing bathrooms or toilets would be in the south of south west (SSW) or west of north-west (WNW).
Who can buy a west facing house?
West facing house may or may not suit everybody. Based on the purpose of your buying, it is good to choose. As per Vastu, west direction relates to the planet Saturn so it is advisable for certain professions to live in a west facing house such as-
- IT Professionals
- Stock Market Traders
- Media Professionals
- Restaurant and Cafe Owners.
- Real estate Brokers
- Research Professionals
- People in the fields of oil and gas, iron and steel, mining and agriculture.
Apart from the profession of the inhabitant, the zodiac sign also plays an important role. The following zodiac signs can benefit from a west facing house:
What to do
- Place the main entrance in 3rd and 4th pada.
- The 5th pada can also act good for the entrance.
- Never place a borewell in exact north-east direction.
- Underground water resources can be placed in north, east or west directions.
- While preparing the plan of a west facing house, place the main building structure toward the south-west side and leave open spaces in north and east sides.
- The boundry walls in the east and north directions should be smaller than south and west directions.
- The slope of west facing plot should always be toward east or north-east direction.
- The meditation can be placed in east or west zones of the house.
- It is ideal to place the kitchen in the south-east or north-west direction of the house.
- As per Vastu, place a money plant in the north direction which can be auspicious.
- The staircase should be located in south or west directions.
- The master bedroom shall be in the east, south or west directions.
- The placement of mirrors is ideal in north and west zones.
What not to do
- Do not open an entrance in the south-west corner of a plot as it causes health and financial problems.
- Avoid using green or brown shades for painting the facade in a west facing house.
- Strictly avoid staircase in north or north-east direction.
- Avoid gardens in the west or north-west direction.
- Never place a kitchen in the north-east or north direction according to Vastu.
- The slope of a west facing house should never be toward south or west direction.
- Avoid placing underground water tanks or bore well in north-west direction.
- If the bedroom is in north, never sleep with your head toward the north direction.
- Make sure there are no trees or electrical posts blocking the front of the house.
- The flow of waste water should never be from north to south direction.
- Avoid designing toilets in the west, north, north-east or east of the house.
- Do not paint the main door in shades of maroon or red.
- Avoid mirrors in the south or south-east direction.
- Avoid using green colour slabs for the kitchen counter.